Friday, February 7, 2014

Brown Sugar Meatloaf


Ok so I am not a food photographer and not everything can be super duper healthy.  This wasn't a horrible meal though.  Besides the meatloaf I made some fresh spinach.  I LOVE spinach, but not a fan of the frozen stuff.  I was at Hyvee and they had fresh spinach on sale for 99 cents a bag.  Great deal!  I just put a little olive oil and garlic in a pan, browned the garlic and then added the spinach until it wilted (about 2 min).  I put some pepper on it too.  (I was the only one that likes spinach in my house, I used half a bag)  So below is the meatloaf recipe.  It was AWESOME!


Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup milk

2 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 package of dry onion soup mix

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger


3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs (I had never bought these before, they come in a cylinder container and are very fine)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray your meatloaf pan.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ketchup and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Divide evenly among three separate bowls; set aside. (I didn't divide, I just used a 1/3 each time to save on dishes to clean) 
In a large bowl combine garlic, Worcestershire sauce, milk, eggs, salt, pepper, soup mix, ginger, bread crumbs and one bowl (1/3) of prepared brown sugar/ketchup mixture. Add ground beef and mix to thoroughly combine.
 Spoon one bowl (1/3) of prepared brown sugar/ketchup mixture into the bottom of the pan. 
Place the meat loaf into the dish. Top with remaining bowl (1/3) of prepared brown sugar/ketchup mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until juices are clear or until thermometer inserted into the loaf reads 160 degrees F. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments: